A Pot to Piss in and a Bucket of Lists
Everyone has a bucket list (Thank you Morgan Freeman!) I think my list is pretty simple, nothing insane on it like these things, but things that fit me, my lifestyle, and things that are dear to me.
1. Own Income Property. The first item on my list is one that I have been working on since the first year we bought our house. My husband and I are working on paying our house off early. When we first bought our house 3 years ago, I was pregnant and agreed to sign a 35 year mortgage. (I was worried about having money, and the lower bi-weekly payments eased my pregnant mind.) Knowing now what a mistake that was, one of the conditions of our mortgage is that we can pay extra money on our principal, which I do. So far in 3 years, we’ve knocked 12 years off that mortgage. Our ultimate goal is to have it paid in 15 years or less.
What does my current mortgage have to do with income properties? Well, once we’ve paid our first mortgage off, we plan to continue to put the same amount into the bank each month as though we still had that mortgage, and after 2 years, use that money to start buying income properties. And once that building is close to being paid off, we’ll again use profits saved to buy more. Not a get rich scheme, but one slowly built. (My oldest will be finished high school at that point, and probably hopefully might be in college or university then.
2. Retire Early. I think this is the goal of most people. Who wants to work for ‘The Man’ till the day you die? Currently with my current retirement saving plan, I am on schedule to retire by the age of 65. However, amy goal is 55. And if our plan for income properties works out, that should happen. Just 10834 more days till then. :S
3. A Successful Blog. Well, I guess I have started that as well. I did have a regular reader base in the age of Geo Cities and My Space, but life and expired memberships killed that. So, here I am again, starting new, with so far 2 readers (Thank you, Dave and Jamie). My goal is to have a successful blog with interesting ‘stuff’, reasearched articles, contests for my reader base, long comment sections , and an impact on others lives. How am I doing so far? Everyone full of soup?
4. Have something published. In my Pre marriage/Kids/Crazy @ Work days, I wrote a lot. I have most of a book written, poetry, short stories, essays completed… And its all hidden away in a desk drawer for NO ONE to see. I’d like to one day have SOMEONE read these and have them published. Maybe I should start with posting some of my short stories on here. Would that count as being published?
5. Play in a Band. I played in one in high school, but we never did anything of any significance. After seeing Jonny Lang and Buddy Guy however, this desire is more intense. I think my biggest obstacle might be my husband, truthfully. He very much wants to as well, but sadly our music tastes and talents are in much different directions from each other. My girlfriend Arlene and I have joked talked about it, but that is as far as it gets. In order for this to happen, however, I need to start playing again, which brings me to…
6. Learn to play one instrument well. I know how to play a bit of guitar, a bit of piano, I can carry a tune (and not make people cringe), a bit of trumpet, and I was decent on the saxophone. The only instrument I feel I was ever really good as was the flute, and I had little desire to excel at it. So little in fact, that most people didn’t even know I played it, like it was a secret. Maybe instead of signing up for that free sociology class, I should into music lessons.
7. Complete a marathon. I don’t know which one yet, but I’d like to say I did one. There are some really cool ones out there. http://www.diabetes.ca/get-involved/supporting-us/team-diabetes/international/
8. Go on a World Vision Trip. Its a big world out there, and I want to see it all.
Did I miss anything?